Facebook,Twitter, Google+, Youtube, StumbleUpon, etc LinkedIn and now Pinterest!
So what is Pinterest? It’s a social media network that allows users to visually share, curate, and discover new interests by posting, also known as ‘pinning,’ images or videos to their own or others’ pinboards (i.e. a collection of ‘pins,’ usually with a common theme).
It’s most popular with lovers of fashion, baking and brides to be. Check out Nina Garcia’s Pinterest boards it’s also been described as crack coacine for ‘fashionistas’.
But why is it important to your business? Because it’s currently referring collossal amounts of traffic and growing… Just look at these stats:
- March 2010 Pinterest is launched
- Named in Time magazine’s Top 50 Best Websites 2011
- Oct 8, 2011 recieves $27 Mill in funding
- Oct 2011, its 3 million users visited an average of 140 pages on the site – This is HUGE
- Dec 22: Pinterest earns spot in top 10 social media websites, based on traffic
- Jan 29: Pinterest named a top five referrer for several apparel retailers, according to internal data from Monetate.
- Feb 1 2012: Pinterest beat YouTube, Reddit, Google+, LinkedIn and MySpace for percentage of total referral traffic in January, according to a Shareaholic study.
If your business relies on driving high-volumes of web visitors, you should be thinking about joining Pinterest. But like all Social Media sites the approach on Pinterest should be tailored to that specific scoial media user base. Simply creating an account and requesting followers, will not work. The Pinterest etiquette must be adhered to while promoting a ‘lifestyle’ of your brand. Cultivate your boards, promote via other social media sites, engage with other’s pins and get excited by the creative visual marketing opportunities that Pinterest enables.