Shopping cart abandonment is one of the biggest challenges online retailers face. According to the Baymard Institute, around 67.75% of online shopping carts are abandoned by fickle or indecisive online shoppers.
However, there’s a way you can turn the tables on this statistic. Abandoned cart emails are an incredibly effective way to regain lost sales.
Here’s some proof from Econsultancy:
- Almost half (44.1%) of all cart abandonment emails are opened
- About a third (29.9%) of clicks on an abandoned cart email will trigger a purchase
- The average order value of a purchase triggered by an abandoned shopping cart email is 14.2% higher than an average purchase
- Every abandoned cart email delivers over $8 in revenue
We’ve gathered and analysed some inspiring examples from the SmileyCat web design blog to demonstrate how you can leverage marketing psychology to create a compelling and effective abandoned shopping cart email.
Here are three simple steps you can take to recapture a customer’s interest:
- Send a first email, 20 minutes after the customer abandons a cart, volunteering to help your customer complete their transaction
- Follow up with a second email an hour later, letting them know you are ‘holding’ their items with a deadline for when the shopping cart will expire
- Finally, send a final email 24 hours after with an enticing, last chance offer
Example 1: Dell
YOUR SAVED CART IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE
We know you sometimes get sidetracked. That's just business as usual. So this is a friendly reminder to complete your purchase with Dell. Your saved cart is about to expire at 5:59AM CT on MM/DD/YYYY.
Follow these three easy steps to check out and you can get right back to work:
Click on 'Retrieve Your Saved Cart below.
Log in to Dell, Hit the green 'Checkout' button.
Complete your purchase within two days.
It's that simple. Thanks again for considering Dell as your technology partner.
P.S. If you purchased within the last 12 hours, please disregard this e-mail. And thank you for your business!
[Retrieve Your Saved Cart]
Questions? We will call you! Mon-Fri 7am to 7pm [CLICK TO CALL]
What makes this Dell abandoned cart email compelling: Convenience
Your number one aim here should be to reassure your customer and let them know you’re here to help. To achieve this:
- Create urgency in the email subject line to capture your potential customer’s attention
- Establish empathy with the customer
- Provide simple, easy to follow instructions on how they can smoothly check out
- Craft a strong call to action that suggests a convenient way to get in touch if the customer needs help
Example 2: Zappos
Come See What Your Shopping Cart Has Been Up To!
Have you met Dash the Dog? He keeps the Zappos.com site running smoothly so our customers can shop with ease! Dash has been looking after the items you left in your shopping cart. While Dash doesn't mind watching your order, he wants you to know that your items have been asking for you and would like for you to return.
If you'd like, you can buy your items now, and pay using PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Plus, we always have fast and free shipping, so you don't have to wait long for your order to arrive!
Since Dash has been known to chew on shoes and other items left unattended for too long, we suggest you come back and purchase your items soon!
Items In Your Zappos.com Shopping Cart:
[sample product + boilerplate about prices being subject to change]
With Love, The Zappos Customer Loyalty Team
What makes this Zappo abandoned cart email compelling: Humour
Brand personality with a touch of humour can go a long way in helping you win a sale. Here are some ideas you can borrow from Zappo’s strategy to craft your abandoned cart email:
- Don’t be afraid to show off your brand’s personality and humanise your brand
- Build an emotional connection through humour
- Remind your customer what’s special about your products
- Reinforce how easy it is to complete a transaction
Example 3: From You Flowers
From You Flowers
ORDER NOW & WE SHIP IT FOR FREE!
We were so sorry to see you leave our site a few minutes ago. If you come back now we will be waiving the $14.99 Service Fee on any order that you place! From You Flowers offers Same Day Delivery anywhere in the US when your order is placed before 3pm in the recipient's time zone!
COME BACK & [SHIP IT FOR FREE] A $14.99 VALUE
BEAUTIFUL & FRESH STARTING FROM ONLY $29.99
What makes this From You Flowers abandoned cart email compelling: Scarcity
Why not entice your customer with a hard to resist follow up offer, such as free shipping or a discount?
To make your email stand out as compelling:
- Offer something unexpected
- Leverage the powerful psychological trigger of ‘scarcity’ – the idea that your offer is available only for a short time
- Use active language that instills urgency
Keen to find out how this can work for you?
Want some help designing an email marketing strategy to hook your customers and keep them hooked?
Alpha Digital can help you design abandoned cart emails that will optimise your conversion rate, as well as a complete, tailored email marketing strategy for your business. To find out more, get in touch with our professional and friendly team today.